Cosmetic Tattoo Insurance

Do you need cosmetic tattoo insurance? As the owner of a salon offering a specific list of personal treatments to your clients, you understand that reducing your risks is one of the keys to your success. At Salonsure, we help you to reduce these risks by providing a suite of insurance policies designed explicitly for your business.


If your salon offers cosmetic tattoos to your clients, then you not only need this type of insurance, but you also need Public & Products Liability, Professional Indemnity, and even General Property Insurance and Commercial Motor Insurance as well. We will also take a look at our Business Insurance Pack, as it covers many of these insurances for your business. Let’s start by looking at cosmetic tattoo insurance, then we will move onto the other insurances previously listed, so you have a comprehensive overview of the insurance policies you need to protect your business.

Cosmetic tattoo insurance

Cosmetic tattoos are an increasingly popular procedure that involves the introduction of colour pigments into the dermis layer of the skin. It’s designed to resemble makeup and is used to improve a client’s appearance, for example making a thin eyebrow thicker or making thin lips look plumper. They are also used to correct asymmetric features or to improve the appearance of burn victims or cancer sufferers.


All of this means that cosmetic tattoos are a very important part of your business, but what happens if something goes wrong? Public & Products liability, as well as Professional Liability Insurance policies are meant to cover these eventualities, however for specific treatments like cosmetic tattoos, these are exclusions. This is why it’s vital that you speak to an experienced broker who understands the nature of your business and you also read the policy fully, identifying any exclusions, before signing on the dotted line. 


At Salonsure, our cosmetic tattoo insurance is designed to specifically cover cosmetic tattoos, which is excluded from the vast majority of policies mentioned above. This means that if a client alleges that you or an employee used the wrong colour for the tattoo or the results weren’t as expected for example, your insurance provider will cover any court costs, legal bills or compensation ordered by the court.

Public and products liability insurances

Any business providing personal services to clients needs both Public & Products Liability Insurance, even if you already have Cosmetic Tattoo Insurance. This is because Public Liability Insurance covers your business against allegations of third party injuries or third party property damage occurring inside your salon when you breach a duty of care. So for example, if a client is burned due to hot wax or a client slips on the floor of your salon and injures themselves. In these instances, Public Liability Insurance will cover your business against these claims. 


Products Liability Insurance on the other hand, covers your business for third party injuries or third party property damage when these injuries or damages are caused by products used or sold by your salon. Whether you manufacture these products yourself or act as a reseller for another company’s products, if a client is injured or their property is damaged due to these products, you need Products liability Insurance.

Professional indemnity insurance

As a professional in the beauty industry, it makes sense that you also need Professional Indemnity Insurance, as well as Cosmetic Tattoo Insurance and the other insurances mentioned above. This particular policy covers you if a client complains about a procedure performed by yourself or an employee. This can also include advice given to the client, accidental breaches of confidentiality, defamation and loss of client documents.


Examples of these claims can include severe reactions (despite performing a patch test for a certain treatment), infections resulting from a pedicure, bruises from a massage, or being accused of suggesting a specific treatment (based on your evaluation) that damages the client’s skin. In all of these cases and many more, Professional Indemnity Insurance reduces your risks by covering court costs and court ordered compensation.

General property insurance

If you offer a mobile service to your clients, you need General Property Insurance to cover your equipment and stock on the move (you might also need Mechanical Equipment Insurance). General Property Insurance covers you for damage or loss to your stock or equipment from fire, theft and collision. For theft however, it usually doesn’t apply if you left the door of your van open and someone stole the contents, it needs to be a forceful entry into your vehicle. You can ask for an ‘open air’ policy that applies if you leave your van unlocked, but this usually comes with higher premiums. If you provide a mobile service for your clients that also includes cosmetic tattoos, you will also need Cosmetic Tattoo Insurance as well.

Commercial motor insurance

A mobile business means that you need a commercial vehicle or a vehicle that is used for commercial purposes, so you will also need Commercial Motor Insurance. This is similar to your Personal Car Insurance, but can be extended to include signage on your vehicle. If you do use your own personal vehicle for commercial purposes and don’t have the right type of insurance (i.e. Commercial Vehicle Insurance), your provider is very unlikely to accept any claims made for theft or collisions.

Business insurance pack

Salonsure’s Business Insurance Pack is designed to make your life easier. It includes a suite of policies needed by most businesses and can be extended to include specific coverage, such as Cosmetic Tattoo Insurance. This insurance pack covers buildings you own or lease for your business, as well as any contents and stock. Loss or damage due to forceful theft is covered, as well as machinery breakdowns.


It also includes Business Interruption Insurance that covers your financial outgoings in case your business can no longer trade due to a disaster. Then there is General Property Insurance and Public liability, as well as cover for tax audits, goods in transit, theft of money and glass breakage. As you can appreciate, it’s often a good idea to start with our Business Insurance Pack and then add on additional policies as needed (Cosmetic Tattoo Insurance being one you would need to add).

Luckily obtaining a Cosmetic Tattoo Insurance quotation in Australia is relatively easy. All you need to do is contact us via the links below or call us on 0480 154 701.

© 2019 Salonsure Insurance Pty Ltd
Salonsure is a trading name of Salonsure Insurance Pty Ltd ABN 54634271766, AR 1276808
Salonsure is an Authorise Representative of Focus Insurance Brokers ABN 19159596246 AFSL 426797